Guest Post: Chalkboard Shoes by Sew Can Do

8:00 AM

I have a nice treat for everyone today! She can introduce herself: 

Hi Everyone!  I'm Cheryl from Sew Can Do.  I'm a self-taught crafter & designer who loves making unusual things.  I learned to sew just a few years ago and I share my crafting adventures, tutorials and project ideas on my blog:  

 
I also host a weekly link party, Craftastic Monday, where people can link up their latest crafty creations.
I was honored to have Margaret ask me to do a guest post here at Chica es Artistica.  I wish I'd started as early as she has with her creative ideas!  Today I thought I'd share an easy & fun idea I came up with: Chalkboard Shoes.  


I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to buy sneakers with cute print designs.  The problem is they rarely go with much stuff, so they really don't get worn as much as they could.  Add in that there's usually a higher price, so most of us can't afford to have more than one pair.  So I took matters into my own hands and came up with these.  They're cheap, give you loads of looks and are fun to decorate!


How To Make Them:
- 1 pair of canvas shoes (Got mine at Target for $9.99)
- 1 jar of chalkboard paint (There are several kinds: sprays, the craft kind, the "regular" cans, etc.).  I used the craft one.   
- Foam paint brush
- A roll of painter's tape (if you're like me & not the neatest painter)
- Package of chalk

I taped over the laces to keep them neat and then brushed on a coat of the paint all over the shoes.  Since I was doing white on white the edges near the bottom were pretty easy, but if using another color paint, I'd recommend using tape down there too.  After an hour I added the second coat and then let dry overnight.  The next day I conditioned them by rubbing chalk all over them:


And then wipe off with a a dry sponge or chalkboard eraser.  I had the not-so-hot idea of using a damp paper towel and blue chalk, so let's just say that could have gone better (read - that combo made some edges I missed a bit blue).  Definitely best to stick to the dry stuff.  Also using stick chalk gives way better control when drawing than those shaped ones or the giant sidewalk style ones.  Now you & the kids can decorate to your heart's desire.  Write messages, draw designs, get the kid's to make some wearable artwork, the possibilities are endless.


This would make a fun (and inexpensive) gift for kids.  Just add in a box of chalk & eraser and it's ready for a budding artist to beautify.  Thanks for having me over at Chica es Artistica, Margaret! 

You Might Also Like

1 Sweet little note(s)

Follow Us

Check out my Etsy Shop!